JERUSALEM PATRIARCHATE – NOVEMBER 2015
A. In Jerusalem
On Monday, the 3rd/16th of November 2015, the translation of the relics of St George the Trophy Bearer was commemorated at the Monastery dedicated to his name, at a short distance to the north-west of the Patriarchate, adjacent to the Monastery of the Archangels, in the Christian quarter of the old city of Jerusalem.
The Monastery had been restored by the ever-memorable Patriarch Chrysanthos of Jerusalem (1707-1731), including within its premises a hospital, hence why it is known to this day as the Holy Monastery of St George “of the Hospital”.
Vespers and the divine Liturgy were led by Archbishop Demetrios of Lydda, having as concelebrants Archimandrites Alexios, Makarios and Kallistos, and a priest visiting from Greece. Archimandrite Alexios sang with his assistants, whilst pious Christians, monks, nuns and pilgrims attended the service.
During Communion, the officiating Primate talked of the martyrdom of St George, an example for us to emulate in a Christian life. After the apolysis, Nun Pansemni hosted the Primates and the faithful to a reception in the forecourt.
At St George “of the Jewish” the feast was not observed because of restoration works commissioned by Abbess Anna.
B. At the Monastery of Beit-Jala
On Sunday the 2nd/15th of November 2015, the translation of the relics of St George the Trophy Bearer was observed a day earlier than the actual feast-day at St George Monastery in Beit-Jala.
The Monastery lies between Bethlehem and Hebron at the centre of Beit Jala, a town inhabited by Muslims.
The divine Liturgy was officiated by Metropolitan Joachim of former Zambia, having as concelebrants Archimandrite Ananias and Hierodeacon Markos. The service was attended by many faithful from Beit-Jala, Bethlehem, and the Village of the Shepherds. On the conclusion of the divine Liturgy, Hegoumen Ananias hosted everyone to a reception at the hegoumeneion.
From the Secretariat-General