The Jerusalem Patriarchate – August 2016
On Sunday, the 18th/31st of July 2016, the feast of the Prophet Elias was observed belatedly at the Church dedicated to his name in Ma’alul, near Nazareth. This particular church had been a centre of worship for the Orthodox Arabic-speaking Community of the Patriarchate, abandoned after the 1948 events and Israel’s domination. Left to ruin for fifty years, the Church was in recent years restored and renovated at the expenses of Metropolitan Kyriakos of Nazareth, and the hegumen on Mount Tabor, Archimandrite Hilarion, upon permission by the Israeli army.
On feast-day, the divine Liturgy was led by H.B. Theophilos, having as concelebrants Metropolitan Kyriakos of Nazareth and Archbishop Aristarchos of Constantina, Hagiotaphite Archimandrites, Archimandrites Hilarion and Mathew, Arabic-speaking presbyters, Archdeacon Evlogios an deacon Markos.
During Communion, the Patriarch delivered a sermon.
On the conclusion of the divine Liturgy, guests were hosted to a reception in the forecourt of the Church, followed by lunch at the Bishopric of Nazareth, courtesy of Metropolitan Kyriakos.
From the Secretariat-General