Suceava’s priests officiate memorial service to mark one-year anniversary of the first COVID-19 case in Romania

Basilica News Agency – Aurelian Iftimiu – 7/3/21

The victims of the coronavirus pandemic were remembered Wednesday at a Chapel of Saint John the New Monastery in Suceava. The Divine Liturgy and a memorial service were officiated by several clerics from the Archdiocese.

“We prayed for all those who were killed by this virus, but especially for those in Suceava County which, as we well know, was one of the most affected counties,” said Fr. Alexandru-Flavian Sava, diocesan counsellor.

Prayers were also offered for the rest of the soul of Archbishop Pimen, who passed away last year after being infected with the new coronavirus. The hierarch was enthroned as Archbishop of Suceava 30 years ago, on March 3, 1991.

“We especially remembered His Eminence Archbishop Pimen, who was infected with the COVID-19 virus nine months ago. We ask the Good Lord to place in the Kingdom of Heaven the souls of those we have remembered today, and to strengthen us in the faith and to protect us from disease,” Fr. Sava said March 3, 2021.

The memorial service marked the one year anniversary since the first COVID-19 case was diagnosed in Romania. Suceava was one of the most affected regions in Romania.

Photography courtesy of Irina Ursachi / Suceava Archdiocese

Source: