OCP News Service – 15/9/21
New York- USA: The St Nicholas Orthodox Cathedral of the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America has been nominated to be included in the State and National Registers of Historic Places. Originally constructed as an Episcopal parish Church, it was renamed as St. Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral in 1920.
Most of the faithful attending the Church were migrants from the Middle East (Lebanon and Syria). The Cathedral has played a crucial role in the growth of Arabic-speaking Orthodox Christian population in the area. Last June, the street of the Church was co-named St. Raphael of Brooklyn Place. Raphael of Brooklyn was the first Orthodox Christian bishop consecrated on the US soil and was also the head of the head of the Antiochian Levantine Christian mission.
OCP news Service