Latest Snap and information on the detained Patriarch Abune Antonios of Eritrea
The Detained Patriarch, Persecuted Christians and a Dying Church of Eritrea
The Illegal Detention of Patriarch Abune Antonios of Eritrea Enters 8th Year
Restore Patriarch Antonios
www.change.org – Father Mussie Shishay Rotkreuz, Switzerland
“We condemn the ordination of 5th illegal Patriarch
Fee Patriarch Antonios I” – Father Mussie Shishay
To the Holy Synod of Eritrean Orthodox Church and to the State of Eritrea Government
To the Holy Synod of Eritrean Orthodox Church and to the State of Eritrea Government. Beforehand, peace and love be unto you from God the Father, the Son and Holly spirit. It is crystal clear that our country has been wreaked havoc owing to sin and transgression.
What compelled us to write this open message is the sheer fact that the suffering of our people has reached to the heights point. Now days, it is known to everyone that Eritrea is in quagmire. We really cannot stand such a situation and we openly express our grievance.
His Excellency, the Eritrean Government and Holy Synod, we would like to express our heartfelt sorrow in connection with the death of our father his holiness Abune Dioskoros. It is to be recalled his holiness Abune Dioskoros passed away on 21st December after a long illness.
His Excellency and Holy Synod, as believers and members of our holy church, we would like to entreat you that never to do any misdeed which divides and indulges the church into lawbreaking, and thereby leads to demolition.
It is to be noted that you deposed our father his holiness Abune Antonius, the 3rd Patriarch of the Eritrean Orthodox Tewahdo Church, without the consent of the Eritrean people and in contravention of the Canon of the Orthodox Church which says a Patriarch should neither be dethroned nor another one be installed in his place.
We priests, deacons and believers of Eritrean Orthodox Church call unto you to never commit again any misdeed which drifts apart our church from God. We hereby call, His Holiness Abune Antonius should be enthroned again and we strictly oppose the installing of 5th Patriarch. Moreover; we would like to remind you that Abune Antonius is the legitimate Patriarch. The reasons why we object the instating of new Patriarch are stipulated as follows.
1. The LORD God sent Jesus into the world and Jesus sent out his apostles. According to Nicean Council of 318–Council of the Holy Ghost–the bishops under Patriarch should never resolve any decision in reference to any charge laid against the Patriarch. If he is guilty, unless any counterpart Patriarch shows up and affirms the crime, the bishops should not draw conclusion. (Decision of the Council of Nicea 51). Hence in violation of the above statement, in absentia of any Patriarch from fellow Orthodox Church of any country, you removed the legitimate Patriarch in contrast of the Canon and Constitution of the church. Such an act disjoins the apostle’s chain and creed. We strongly condemn such heretic and sinful act.
2. The law and creed of Orthodox Church underlines a new Patriarch should never be inaugurated when the former Patriarch is still alive.
3. As found in article 93 of the Eritrean Church law and system, His Holiness Abune Antonios is lawful and innocent.
4. The decision which was made in the name of bishops in 2005 is in utter contravention of the council of Nicea which was held in 325.
5. All the allegations against Abune Antonious are conspicuously false. All the accusations made against him contrary to what his.
6. St Ignatius was a student of St John the apostle in the year of 69 A.D
“Since therefore I have, in the persons before mentioned, beheld the whole multitude of you in faith and love, I exhort you to study to do all things with a divine harmony, while your bishop presides in the place of God, and your presbyters in the place of the assembly of the apostles, along with your deacons, who are most dear to me.” (Ignatius to the Magnesia’s 6; 1) More over St Ignatius have said “Let nothing exist among you that may divide you; but be united with your bishop, and those that preside over you, as a type and evidence of your immortality.” (Ignatius to the Magnesia’s 6; 1)
7. As St Ignatius has said in his message to the Magnesia “let nothing exist among you that may divide you”, but be united with your bishop. However, the Eritrea tewahdo orthodox church Holy Synod has failed to support His holiness Antonius on his view to the issue that was raised. Therefore, we as a member of the Eritrean Orthodox Church condemn the action the Holy Synod and regime has taken. “For even Jesus Christ, our inseparable life, is the manifested will of the Father; as also bishops, settled everywhere to the utmost bounds of the earth, are so by the will of Jesus Christ.” (St Ignatius to Ephesians 3; 2)
8. All bishops are disciple of Jesus Christ, as it was said whoever accepts anyone I send accepts me. (Canons haploids 3) based on this statement not accepting his holiness Antonius is refusing to accept Christ and his disciples for this reason we disagree with your decision.
9. Patriarch is head of Archbishop and episcopise, therefore any bishop who ever lives in any Diocese should know who their Patriarch is. Any such activity without the authorization of the holly patriarch should not be carried; all has to be under his authorization and advice. (3rd clement abtolis canons 25). The Eritrea Holy Synod is in breach of Abtolis canons 25 for the activity they have taken after patriarch Antonius was imprisoned we strongly condemn this as this is not the teaching of our apostolic church. Under the law of spiritual 5 172-185 it states that if any bishop becomes patriarch by force, protesting, helped by government or any regime, he should be removed from all and any administrative responsibilities of the church. Based on the law of the spiritual 5 172-185 abuna Dioskoros whom recently has pass away became patriarch by the help of Eritrean regime. Having the Holy Synod to agree with such a decision makes the Holy Synod in breach of law of the spiritual and disjoins the apostle’s chain and creed. Therefore, we strongly disagree with your decision but advice the Holy Synod to consider such law and canons of our church.
10. In the past years, instead of you stand by example in good deed, you rather in breach of our church canons and laws which resulted into removing of abune Antonius from his power and ordained excommunication abune Dioskoros as patriarch, which resulted the church members in all over the world have involved in hated, gossip and divisions in their community and place of worship. As a result of all this chaos their unity and way of living in peace and harmony has destroyed and becomes enemy to each other.
11. As it was said on 1 Thessalonians 5 21 “let all things be tested; keep to what is good” after we have seen and observe all the chaos you have created, our support goes to patriarch Antonius and we call patriarch abune Antonius to be restored to his position and lead our church in peace and build back our unity with one another and also with other sister church’s (oriental church’s). We are also calling to the government of Eritrea to take his hands off the church and leave the church matter to the Holy Synod.
From priests, deacons, church members in generally followers of the Eritrean Orthodox church. A copy of this will be sending to:
• The Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria.
• To other sister churches member of the oriental orthodox churches.
• To UN human right.
Praise to our Lord Jesus Christ and may the prayer of all Saints be with us.