MARP (Metropolitan Alvares Julius Research Project™)
Owned by the Department of Church Research and Studies of Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE®(OCP) Society, and monitored by the Center for Orthodox Studies (COS), MARP™ features history, mission, life, and details of personalities like St. Gregory of Parumala, Archbishop Rene Villate, famous Indian Malankara Orthodox and Syriac Orthodox Church Fathers, laymen who were directly and indirectly connected to Metropolitan Alvares. The study has an emphasis on the two Western Rites (Independent Catholic Mission –ICM & Christian (Old Orthodox) Catholic Rite Church of America (CCRA) of the Syriac-Malankara Orthodox Churches.
MARP™ is the pilot initiative to research and study Western Rite communities (Latin, Anglo Rites & Independent Catholic movements) of Oriental Orthodox Churches with special reference to Syriac and Indian Orthodox Malankara Churches.
Our journey started in 2009. The Executive Council of Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE® (OCP) Society approved the launch of the project web portal in response to the special petition filed by Dr. Ajesh T Phillip during the first quarter of 2013. OCP Society is the first Pan-Orthodox Christian organization to commission an exclusive research project on Western Rite Oriental Orthodox Churches.
The Research portal was inaugurated on 28th May 2013 by Fr. Dr. K .M. George (former Principal of the Orthodox Theological College and leading Orthodox theologian) in the presence of eminent Orthodox historian Dr. Kurien Thomas, Verghese John Thottapuza (Direct. Dept of Publications of OCP Society) and Joice Thottakad (Founder and Editor of Malankara Orthodox TV) and Dr. Ajesh T. Philip.
The new OCP-MARP web portal was launched by our beloved friend and well wisher Dragana Atanaskovic (Serbian Orthodox Author) in April 2018 at her residence in Belgrade, Serbia.
- Historic visit of OCP delegation to Brahmavar, submits report to the Holy Synod of MOC. Report titled ‘Holy Brahmavar’ published in British Orthodox journal and OCP Media Network – 2009.
- Ajesh T. Philip rediscover St. Gregorious of Parumala Community in Dindigul – 2010
- OCP-MARP™ delegation visited the family of the great oriental theologian Bishop K.C. Pillai (Mar James Charles Ryan of the Catholicate of the West) – 2012
- OCP-MARP™ web portal inaugurated by Fr. Dr. K. M. George at Kottayam – 2013
- Ajesh T. Philip visits Sempatti and rediscovers the St. James Independent Catholic Church – 2013
- Metropolitan Mar Diascoros Yuhanon of Madras visited Dindigul and Sempatti area and initiated a mission (Dindigul Mission or St. Gregorious of Parumala Mission, Dindigul) upon discussions with Dr. Ajesh T. Philip. The Metropolitan met leaders and faithful of Independent Catholic communities – 2013
- George Alexander speaks on ‘OCP-MARP™ field research on the Western Latin Rites in the Indian subcontinent’ at I.A.O conference in Thessaloniki – 2014
- Orthodox Liturgy was served by the prelates of the Madras Diocese of the Indian Orthodox Malankara Church in the historic mission field in Dindigul after a gap of 59 years. New Mission Centre started at Dindigul – 2014
- OCP-MARP™ delegation visits Gao, Swanthawadi Madurai, Mettupetti and Malayapetty, Pallithanam, Tamil Nadu, Nagercoil, Palayamkottai, Kanyakumari, Kuttapuli and Vdakkankulam for further field research – 2014
- OCP-MARP™ initiative rediscovers our Lady of Good Death Cathedral in Colombo, Sri Lanka – 2014
- George Alexander (OCP Secretary) visits Our Lady of Good Death Cathedral, Roman Catholic Churches, Anglican convents and Churches and met with Rt. Revd. Dhiloraj Ranjit Canagasabey, the Anglican Bishop of Colombo – 2015
- OCP-MARP™ delegation rediscovers an old Tablet of Independent Catholic Prelates. The Tablet was handed over to the Madras diocese as per their request and as per the decision of the OCP Executive Council – 2015
- Ajesh T. Philip speaks on the importance of ‘Western Rite among Oriental Orthodox Churches in the India Sub-Continent’ at the Goan Orthodox Symposium- 2015
- OCP-MARP delegation Pune and Mumbai for further data collection – 2016
- Bonn University Researcher Dr. Wei Jaing meets Dr. Ajesh T. Philip and discus Independent Catholic movements– 2017
- Dragana Atanaskovic, Serbian Orthodox author launch revamped MARP Portal – 2018
- OCP-MARP™ delegation visits Ecumenical Relations Department of the Malankara Orthodox Church and initiates discussion on Western Rite Orthodox movements– 2018
- OCP publish the book titled ‘Western Rites of Syriac-Malankara Orthodox Churches’ – 2018
Structure of OCP-MARP Research Board
Our Logo is designed by Fr. Prakash Kuriakose – Deleagte of Malankara & the Indian Sub-Continent and Chief Desgins Offcier @ OCP
The OCP-MARP logo is developed in the form of a Coat of Arm. Icons and symbol used in the logo is understood in the terms of union between Western Rite Orthodoxy and Orthodox Christianity. The logo is a mixture Western Rite Orthodox and Easter Rite Orthodox symbols and icons, even thought these icons symbols are used by both rites. The cappello romano, the crosier, and the church portray Western Rite Orthodoxy, whereas the key, Easter egg and Chi Riho denotes Eastern Rite Orthodoxy. The center OCP logo shows the project ownership.