UPDATE: Fire Guts St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church

 (Editor)  – 14/8/13

A fire ripped through the inside of the St. Demetrios Greek Orthrodox Church on Hewlett Avenue in Merrick Friday night. Merrick firefighters, with the mutual aid assistance of neighboring fire departments, helped extinguish the blaze.

According the Nassau County Police, the fire started around 9:25 p.m. Friday from a lit candle inside the church.

The altar area inside church suffered smoke and water damage, however, the total damage to the church is unknown at this time.

The Nassau County Fire Marshal was on the scene.

Several firefighters suffered from smoke and heat exhaustion. Nassau County Police said that one Merrick fireman was transported to a local hospital and treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Merrick Fire Department responded with 75 firefighters, 20 pieces of apparatus, and were assisted by the North Merrick, Bellmore, North Bellmore, Seaford, Freeport, Baldwin and South Hempstead Fire Departments.

Information courtesy of the Nassau County Police Department and Paul J. DeMaria of the Merrick Fire Department.

Source: