The Press Office of the Romanian Patriarchate informs us:
On 29 October 2012, His Beatitude Daniel, Patriarch of the Romanian Orthodox Church and Mr Eduard Hellvig, Minister for Regional Development and Tourism signed the financing contract from European funds for the consolidation, rehabilitation and restoration of the Patriarchate Palace.
The Patriarchate Palace was built at the beginning of the 20th century on the place of the former building of the Deputies’ Assembly, on the terrain of the Metropolitanate of Wallachia according to the documents of the time, in accordance with the plans of architect Dimitrie Maimarolu, having been the first building in enforced concrete in the country. The complex of buildings made up of the Patriarchal Cathedral, Patriarchal Residence and Patriarchate Palace is situated in the precincts of the Saints Constantine and Helen Monastery, founded from 1656 – 1658 by the ruling prince of Wallachia Constantine Vodă Şerban Basarab.
In the course of time, the building of the present Patriarchate Palace had several changes, the most important of them having been the re-construction of the dome collapsed at the earthquake of 10 November 1940.
In 2007, due to the intensification of the missionary, social and cultural activity of the Romanian Orthodox Church the building built on the terrain of the Metropolitanate of Wallachia was given to the Romanian Patriarchate. On 6 November 2010, following the decision of the Romanian Government no 1229/2010, the Patriarchate Palace became the property of the Romanian Patriarchate.
Missionary, educational, social and cultural activities of the Romanian Patriarchate are always organised in the Patriarchate Palace, such as conferences, seminars, and symposiums with national and international participation.
After finishing the consolidation, rehabilitation and restoration works, the Patriarchate Palace will host permanent and temporary exhibitions and will be one of the main tourist points of Bucharest, open to public visits.