Church bells ring in a corner of Turkey once the site of Armenian genocide

By GIL SHEFLER |  Religion News Service - 5/10/13 DIYARBAKIR, Turkey • For almost a century, the bells of St. Giragos — a magnificent 14th-century church built of sturdy black basalt bricks — were silent. Severely damaged during the 1915 massacre and deportation of local Christians, it stood roofless and abandoned for decades, a poignant reminder of ...