Pious Saints Simeon and Amphilochius Of Pângăraţi are celebrated, on 7th September 2016, in the Romanian Orthodox Church.
Pious Simeon was born at the beginning of the 15th century in a village close to Piatra Neamţ city, at the time of the pious ruler prince Alexander the Kind (1400-1432). From his youth, he was a very religious man, choosing to live monastic life and joining the community of Bistriţa Monastery. After much ascetic practice and obedience, in 1432, he retired together with two of his disciples on the left bank of Pângăraţi creek. There, he built a cell of fir beams in a beautiful meadow, where he stayed together with his disciples in permanent prayers, so that his place was known as “Simeon’s Hermitage”. Having heard of him, Right-believing Ruler Prince Stephan the Great (1457–1504) helped him raise a small wooden church dedicated to Saint Great Martyr Demetrius, the Myrrh Bearer. When metropolitan Teoctist I consecrated it, Venerable Simeon was ordained priest, having become the first founder and igumen of Pângăraţi Monastery, called “Simeon’s Skete” until 1508. There he gathered many disciples around him, growing in self-denial and prayer and receiving the gifts of healing and of prophecy. The faithful benefited from his blessings, as well as the high officials, and even Right-believing Ruler Prince Stephan the Great, who used to ask for his advice for him and for the country.
In 1476, when the Turks invaded Moldavia and won the battle of Războieni, Venerable Simeon prayed for the country and for the ruling prince to rid them of the invaders, took his disciples and settled at Caşva Monastery, in Mureş region. There, he passed away the same year in the autumn, having been buried in that monastery. Towards the end of 1484, when peace was reigning again in the country, Right-believing Ruler Prince Stephan the Great put his relics in a shrine and kept them in his treasury, in great honour. Then, he took parts of the relics and put them in a shrine for veneration, burying the rest of them in the Citadel of Suceava.
Holy Venerable Amphilochius from Pângăraţi was born in 1487, in Ţara de Sus, Moldavia. He began his monastic life since his youth, atMoldoviţa Monastery, where from he came to Pângăraţi, in 1508. There, all the members of the community elected him abbot, so that he led them for 56 years. Hieromonk Anastasios from Moldoviţa, who knew him well, speaks about his life: “He chose to live in monasticism ever since he was a child, having been esteemed by all the people of his time for his good deeds. He was a very good writer, fasting, patient and striving to live a spiritual life”. Due to his efforts, Christ, our Lord, and Saint Demetrius, the protector of the monastery, made ruler prince Alexandru Lapuşneanu (1552-1561; 1564-1568) build a new church at Pângăraţi, instead of the old wooden one which the Turks had burned down. The church was consecrated by metropolitan Gregory of Suceava in 1560. In 1566, the Saint gathered all his spiritual sons around, gave them last advice, appointed hieromonk Teodorit as igumen replacing him and retired at his first monastery, Moldoviţa. There, blessed Amphilochius became a hermit by the name of Enoch and lived for four more years. In 1570, having known before the time of his death, he received the Holy Communion, fell asleep into the Lord, and his disciples buried him.
On 6 March 2008, the Holy Synod of the Romanian Orthodox Church canonised Venerables Simeon and Amphilochius, to be celebrated on 7 September.
Through the prayers of the Pious Saints Simeon and Amphilochius, Lord Jesus Christ, our God, have mercy on us. Amen.
Troparion, tone 3:
Oh, Venerable Fathers Simeon and Amphilochius, the ones who enlightened the Carpathian woods through your prayers and filled the whole valley of Bistrița with spiritual scent, close advisers of the ruler princes and radiant torches of the monastics and of the pious faithful, pray to God for us, who celebrate with love your holy commemoration.