Moscow restorers have renewed frescos of the Iberian Cathedral – the main church of the Valdai Iberian Svyatoozersky Bogoroditsky Monastery, which is considered to be one of the relics of Russian Orthodox Church.
The restored frescos occupy about half of the area of the cathedral’s walls. The areas on the walls that never had monumental painting on, will be painted by modern artists in the same style as the restored frescos in the first quarter of 2011.
The Iberian Monastery was founded on the Valdai Lake in 1653 by Patriarch Nikon of Moscow and all Russia. Building of the Iberian Cathedral in the monastery took place in 1655 – 1656.
In 1927, when Soviet authorities closed the monastery, its main relic, the wonder-working Iberian Icon was gone, and is still missing now.